All entering cadets at Valley Forge Military Academy & College are called “Plebes” until they complete a period of training known as the Plebe System.
This initial phase encompasses incoming cadet reception, processing, training and the first six weeks of school until Recognition Day.It is a period of adjustment during which an entering cadet learns to place the concept of duty above personal desires. The Plebe System will test your child mentally, physically and morally. It is demanding. But remember, it is a proven system. Thousands of Valley Forge cadets have succeeded. Most importantly, know that Valley Forge wants your child to succeed. Plebes who fail to meet all requirements will not be recognized and will remain under the Plebe System after Recognition Day.
The goals of the Plebe System are to:
- Prepare incoming cadets for success in the Five Cornerstones programs – Academic Excellence, Character Development, Personal Motivation, Physical Development, and Leadership – the Five Cornerstones.
- Teach cadets to be loyal and effective followers as part of the leadership development experience.
- Introduce cadets to the daily operations, rules and regulations of Valley Forge–tasks, conditions, standards.
- Instruct and train each New Cadet in the standards and conduct expected of a member of the Valley Forge Corps of Cadets.
- Introduce cadets to the customs and traditions of Valley Forge.
- Instill confidence, teamwork, loyalty, honor, respect, responsibility, selflessness, and self-discipline in a standards based, values focused system.
- Begin to set the foundation for a cadet’s development as a future ethically minded citizen-leader of character.
- Inspire cadets to strive for excellence in all they do.
- Provide a powerful and inspirational leadership experience for the Cadet Chain of Command and all upper-class cadets through positive leading by example.