The entire College Corps is involved in acts of community service ranging from raising money for wounded veterans to reading stories to grade school children.
The venues where we have provided service are:
- Church of the Saviour-general clean up assistance
- Our Lady of the Assumption-reading to students and monitoring gym classes
- American Legion Hall Radnor-General clean up
- Mt Zion Church-general clean up
- Wayne Senior Center-visiting and general clean up
- Rosemont Presbyterian Village-Visit/ recorded stories / assistance as requested
- Freedom Foundation Valley Forge- General clean up
- Valley Forge National Park- General maintenance
- Wounded Warriors-Collection in Wayne 2 years $4,000.00
Martin Luther King Day of Service:
The entire College Corps is involved in community service.
The venues are:
- Church of the Saviour
- Our Lady of the Assumption
- Mt Zion Church
- Rosemont Presbyterian Village
- Lane Montessori School-reading to school children
- Mt. Airy Presbyterian Church- General clean up
- Don Guenella School- Aid as requested
- Elverson Military Academy- Mentor cadets for the day
- African American Museum- Work as guides and gate attendants.
This fall we attended the opening day ceremony of the 365 Community Service Project. The ceremony was held in the Mayor’s Reception Room at City Hall. Our point of contact for this event was Mr. Todd Bernstein. Mr. Bernstein was instrumental in connecting VFMC to the MLK Day of Service Program. We hope to expand our community service endeavors and take part in an event to be staged at Girard College this coming MLK Day.
Note: after all of our community service events the students meet in discussion groups and reflect upon the days events.